I Forge Iron

is this a good deal for a beginner anvil?

I have the exact same anvil. That looks brand new. It has mill marks on it from the manufacturer, but those don't affect anything. I hand sanded mine and after use, those mill marks are smoothing out on their own. I like mine and yes, new and with shipping, the are over $800 US. They are solid cast steel made from 4140 tool steel. They aren't super hard. It will leave little spots if you miss and places just from working something. But nothing major and it's work hardening from use. I love mine. The only thing I don't like is I wish I could have afforded a bigger one. Probably depends on what kind of smithing you want to do, but I'd say if you have the money go for it. Unless you want something bigger. I don't do a lot of super heavy work, but so far it's handled everything I've given it. Good find really

Welcome aboard Smokejmpjoe52. I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum, it's full of tips like editing your profile to show location and how to keep the moderators happy.:) READ THIS FIRST

Depending upon where in the world you are located, $5 U.S. per pound is not an outrageous price in today's market And Emerson's have a good reputation.

That's what I was thinking was it'd give you money left over for other goodies. My opinion is to get it. Unless you think you may want a heavier anvil, (And not just an Emerson) then save that money. I don't remember exactly, but the 150 lb. Traditional was around $1100 or $1200 US I believe. What would you be interested in making? Like I was saying earlier, it's probably dependent on what you would like to do. General forging or knife making it would be perfect. But lots of heavy work may need something a little bigger. Anyway, it'd be a good deal no matter how you slice it.