I Forge Iron

Sacrificial Kiln Shelf Floor protection

Adam R.

Yesterday I attempted (and succeeded :D) to forge weld in my recently purchased Chile forge.  I have a sacrificial kiln shelf for the floor of the forge (two actually, the floor itself is a kiln shelf and Chile forge sells an additional sacrificial kiln shelf for forge welding).

My first night forge welding I noticed; and expected, that the borax would eat away some of the shelf.  I know i could have another kiln shelf on the rack for replacement, but could i prolong the life of the sacrificial kiln shelf floor by coating it with something? 

Would kiln wash help here?

If so what would be a good and appropriate coating?

1 hour ago, Mikey98118 said:

Maybe; but like many things, whether or not you think the help is worthwhile will be an individual call.

A maybe might be worth a try.  If i get even two times the life from a shelf for an occasional wash it would be.

Perhaps I will have to try out one of the less expensive kiln washes to try this out.

I've use a DIY zircon/colloidal silica (the type used for shell casting) coat which does add some protection.  But once there's flux on the shelf under it...well coatings don't last too well. You can put another layer of refractory on it (I use mizzou).

If you have refractory around, you can make shelves with that if it's high alumina. I put some wet paper towels (or cardboard if you want a looser fit) on the floor of the forge (folded up a couple inches on either side), and trowel on a 1/2" or so layer of refractory.  The paper towel burns out and the shelf doesn't stick, and can be pulled out.  I also build up the edges so any flux will pool in the center rather then seeping around the edges and glueing it down.  Cheap easy kiln shelf.

DanR

I am really glad you mentioned this!  I was wondering if I could just make my own shelves.  The Chile forge is well designed to have a removable/sacrificial shelf directly above; and supported by, the actual floor which makes for easy removal of a simple rectangular shelf.  Because of the design I think it would be quite simple to just create a casting form outside of the forge and install the cast part after; assuming the cast shelf is strong enough to support its own weight from movement.

Would you suggest Mizzou for this?  I can get about 4 to 5 shelves out of a 50lb bag for the cost of 1 kiln shelf.

Will coating a DIY shelf coated with something like ITC-100 help keep the shelf alive?  Or just mostly be a waste of money? 

Edited by Mod30
Remove excessive quote

12 hours ago, Adam R. said:

Would you suggest Mizzou for this? 

I use it because I have a couple bags around. Can’t compare it to others because I haven’t iced them. It works well. It’s a high alumina refractory and is pretty flux resistant. My present shelf is between 1/2-1” thick and I’ve removed it without trouble. It’s very strong. 

you should get a lot more then 3-4 shelves out of a bag. 

DanR