I Forge Iron

Census Data

ThomasPowers

I ran across this recently, 1870 census data!

CENSUS YR:  1870  STATE or TERRITORY:  NM  COUNTY:  Socorro  DIVISION:  Pct 3, Polvadera  REEL NO:  M593-896  PAGE NO:  480b
REFERENCE:  Enumerated on Aug 16, 1870 by J. M. Shaw.  Hand-written Page #12
===================================================================================================================================================================================================
 LN  HN   FN  LAST NAME      FIRST NAME     AGE  SEX  RACE  OCCUP.       REAL VAL. PERS VAL.   BIRTHPLACE       FOREIGN BIRTH  MONTH     MONTH     ATT.  CAN'T CAN'T DEAF M-21yrs VOTE-    REMARKS
                                                                                                               FATHER MOTHER  BORN      MARR.     SCHOOL READ  WRITE              DENIED
===================================================================================================================================================================================================
 5   91   83  Williamson     David          32    M    W    Blacksmith     .         .         Missouri           .      .     .         .           .      .     .     .    X        .    .

Now to track down his shop and see if anything's hiding in the dirt...

There was another entry for a fellow listed as 105 years old with occupation "Object of Charity"

Mr.  T.P.,

Mr. Williamson may also be listed in a county or city directory.

Also tax or property assessment rolls.

That would give you an address.

Tally ho to the archives my good friend, or the local historical society library..

Good luck.

SLAG.

I'll have to check into a Territorial directory; your city directory was a good laugh! in 1880 Socorro had about 1200 people and Polvadera was probably a hamlet.  It's on the old Camino Real and he probably served folks travelling there. 1870 was only 7 years after Arizona was split off of the New Mexico Territory...New Mexico originally went from Texas to California as did Socorro County IIRC.

Senor Thomas Powers,

Glad you had a good laugh*.

SLAG suggests a look at the probate office in that jurisdiction for possible wills. Also the Torrens ( "land titles",  archives or whatever they call it, in your western real estate ( land),   purchase records. , and also tax records*).

Counselor Mr. George NM could help me out there.

The local newspaper could also have an obituary for the gentleman. (I presume that he is deceased, by now).

Good luck with it. Persistence, sometimes,  pays big dividends.

SLAG.

* I have not been further west than Missouri,  in the United States.