I Forge Iron

Interesting little unknown anvil (photo heavy)

I just got back from working in Wyoming. I visited my buddy that I got my soderfors anvil from and I walked away with this little guy. It is trunkated, it weighs 45.6 lbs, the face is 3 inches wide, from the shelf to the Hardy hole it is 7 inches, the Hardy hole was 3/4 inch, it's 7 1/2 inches tall with a foot print of 7 inches by 6 3/4 inches. It has a slight hourglass shaped indention on the bottom. What looks like a thin hardend steel plate is really just the edge that has been curled down from use. It looks to be welded at the waist. It has about 80 percent rebound on the face, it rings good until you test the horn then there's hardly any ring and it looks like the horn has a large fracture running through it. I can't find any dicernable makers marks or weight. I havn't done any spark testing on it yet to check if it's wrought iron, cast iron or cast steel. The only history I have on it is that he picked it up at a ranch estate sale. My buddy was going to use it as is until he had two massive strokes that left him unable to work. So he just gave the little guy to me. I was going to clean up the trunkated area and use it for edge packing on knives, small forging items or maybe just as a conversation piece. I find it amazing that the Vikings used similar sized anvils for most of their forgings. Maybe I'll try it out as a small travel anvil. Enjoy and forge on :-)

I'd say that little guy weighed close to 70 pounds before the heel was broken off.

BTW you really need to edit this post and reduce the size of the pictures. Large pictures eat up band width/data and we have many members who have to depend on dial up internet (pictures take forever to load) or pay extra for data.