I Forge Iron

Looking for more info on this anvil

Hi I’m new to this blacksmith and new to this forum. This is my first real anvil anvil and I’m just curious about what exactly it is. I know is a Columbian and it’s 75lbs. Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

3B07DFB6-A9F2-4930-9FBC-92FD5B55AE26.jpeg

6CAE0083-5BC2-4B48-8694-72D5004EEE6A.jpeg

59A0CE6B-9B27-4FDE-AA46-9C49F0B1189B.jpeg

9EFEC618-C64F-4103-90AB-F8A759E9BFF9.jpeg

890C5DFE-E96E-4177-86DE-2A4179706F1E.jpeg

AB9260BF-A906-4963-B6A2-575B5AE0200E.jpeg

1 hour ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Welcome to IFI, have you read this yet? READ THIS FIRST  Your Colombian looks like a good one. Have you read about not doing any grinding, milling or welding on the hardened face?

I have not but I will. Thank you. All I have done was wire wheel it. Was pretty dirty when I got it. 

West also made anvils with the inverted triangle logo as well.  The Columbian anvils I've seen have a "C" in the inverted triangle so that's also a possibility.  Both are American made cast steel anvils with hard faces.

According to Postman in AIA (Anvils in America) Columbian was founded around 1890 and started making anvils somewhere in the 1903 - 1904 period.  They may have been the first cast steel anvil makers in America.  They used good quality tool steel for their anvils from what I know because they were cast from tool steel.  Dating your anvil is tricky but a safe guess would be early 1900's like before the 1920's possibly.  

I saw a video recently that talked about that anvil.  Based on the video, it's a Columbian SB, made in Sweden.  The SB is what is in that circle down below the waist.  The presenter of the video said it was an exceptional anvil.  Looks as if it's got a good top and is in really good condition.  Seems to me you grabbed the brass ring on your first try.  Lucky Bugger!

4 hours ago, Chris The Curious said:

I saw a video recently that talked about that anvil.  Based on the video, it's a Columbian SB, made in Sweden.  The SB is what is in that circle down below the waist.  The presenter of the video said it was an exceptional anvil.  Looks as if it's got a good top and is in really good condition.  Seems to me you grabbed the brass ring on your first try.  Lucky Bugger!

Thanks for the info. By chance do you have a link to that video?