I Forge Iron

Take a look at this little sad sack that followed me home...

Hey fellas, 

I figured you all might like to see the sad little guy that followed me home today. I did the same thing I always do and ended up personifying and then feeling bad for the little thing. I'm well aware that there likely isn't anything that can be done for it, but still wanted to get it out of the crappy place it was at, even if just having it as a conversation piece. 

btw, it's a Southern Crescent No. 7. Without weighing it, I'd guess that (at one time) it was a 50lb anvil. 

IMG-20190714-155516.jpg

IMG-20190714-155451.jpg

IMG-20190714-155501.jpg

We have the technology...we can fix it...

IMG-20190714-184811.jpg

*edit* oops, I meant to post this in the regular anvil thread, not the review-by-brand...

Yeah I'm not too sure exactly what I want to do with it. Mainly it was to get it away from the dirt/mud and stop any *further* degradation. 

I've recently met a machinist who is breaking out and starting his own shop, full CNC mills, etc. Big stuff. He also overhauls, restores, and sells cutting/brazing torches and teaches classes on brazing, etc. The guy's got hundreds of them. I jokingly sent him a photo of the anvil last night saying, "here's your next challenge" or something to that affect. But he replied with,

"I want to fix that at my cost."

"I want to fix it"

"I saw that thing and I want to fix it"

I replied that he's welcome to take a crack at it. What's he going to do, destroy it? Of course, I'm going to give the guy more than just his cost, I'm not going to make him work for nothing.

Anyone see any reason why I *shouldn't* let him take a crack at it? I mean, worst case scenario he mills off the top and brazes on a hardened steel plate...and I can't imagine it'd be any worse off than it is now.

Laughably, as usual, I'm getting drawn into throwing money at another pit (forge?).

Don't tell my wife...

Thanks Irondragon, I certainly will turn him onto that thread. I'd love to see this little guy get a new lease on life. Not to mention that I live in the Dallas suburbs, so it'd be nice to have a quieter anvil for when I do some late-night thumping B)

• 1 year later...

Hey man! I have a southern Cresent just like this, it has some pretty severe damage, if you could get me in contact with the guy trying to fix yours I'd really appreciate it! I'm 17 and I had to save for a long time to get this anvil, so it would mean the world to me to be able to fix it! Thank you, and have a great day!....or night?..i don't know what time it is there....Anyway thanks!

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 12:21 AM, Ty jones said:

Hey man! I have a southern Cresent just like this, !

Hey Ty, where are you located? As mentioned in the post below yours, knowing your location would help a lot.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 2:25 PM, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Welcome aboard Ty. .

Thank you and good looking out. For whatever reason, I received an email notification about your post, but not about Ty's post. 

S/F,

-Matt