I Forge Iron

Rigid refactory tube.

Making my way through Forges 101, saw a link to a site specializing in various types of refactories, including rigid forms such as tubes.

Only just made contact, but I'm just excited to find someone not just selling wholesale. In my initial message, I inquired on small orders and explained that I had read up on the alumina rigid tubes and would like to try one as a forge body, as a home hobbyist. This is the reply I received:

"Thank you for your interest in our rigid materials.  At 2300F, you are well within our range of materials.  What kind of dimensions are you looking at for your layer of insulation?  We have an alumina cylinder mold 15.5”ID x 7”L.  We can make various sizes and lengths depending on your needs. The zirconia material has some limits though, 6” lengths unless you can stack a set of rings vertically, and some smaller ID and OD.  We typically do not need minimum orders unless for some reason we need to make a non-standard size.  If you have a little flexibility, I’m sure we can find the right material and size for you"

I will keep you guys updated of it turns out this is something worthwhile. Not sure if it's old news. Here is the site, hope it works. 

Edited by Mod30
Commercial link removed per TOS

I just read the PDF on the alumina Buster, it says it's got great shock resistance, some is used in "rapid thermal cycling applications." I agree, I'll ask for sure. The weight is from 15PCF to 45PCF.

I won't count my chicks before they hatch, but fingers crossed.

A properly tuned propane burner develops well more than 2,300 f. You might ask about 2,600 f.+

Unless I misread the post, AFB is making Morgan k-26 IFB crumble with his new experimental burners. K-26, have a rated working max temp of 2,600 f. which means his vortex burners are developing more like 2,700-2,800 f.

I'll sure be watching for what you learn, 15.5" x 7" L tube might just be what I'm looking to not have to make myself.

Frosty The Lucky.

He asked my operating temps, and without thinking, I estimated the temps from under a 1/2" kol 30 face. The material is rated at 1600 to 1800 C, depending on density. I assume the lightest stuff is the 1600. 

Edit: I made the thread and so I bear the burden of proof in a way, but if anyone is interested, follow the link in my first post. When you do, click on rigid, and go for the alumina stuff, with "buster" in the name and download the PDF.

Im just now building my 1st serious forge, but (to my eye) the properties seem ideal.

2 hours ago, Orangejoe said:

so I bear the burden of proof

We're usually not that demanding. I just checked the conversion table and 1,800 c. = 3272 f. An 1,800 c. refractory has a comfortably conservative margin to make me smile on my most pessimistic day. 

The reply you got from the refractory maker said 2,300 f. which is well under good enough for my T burners. I don't think 1/2" of Kastolite is enough to make a 300 f. temp drop. 

I've been wrong before, often enough I should have several PHDs from learning  from a modest %.

If we can just buy forge liners I'm all over it. Frankly I'm getting tired of making the things.

Frosty The Lucky.

Unfortunately, in our last correspondence I was informed this is out of my price range. For anyone with the urge and the cash, I'll post the reply and the name. Thanks for listening everyone.

I have an extra cylinder on my shelf that might do the trick.  It is our Buster A-15 material, 8”ID x 11.5”OD (rough)x 11.6”L(rough).  I can offer you this for $526.08 if no additional machining is needed.  Let me know if a picture would help.

The website is zircarzirconia.com.