I Forge Iron

Kinyon hammer video

I finally got the treadle installed and everything working right. So I spent a few hours drawing out billets I'd made up last year. Even repaired a few delaminations that happened on reheating. Nice to see I can forge weld under the hammer.

Anyway, here is a short video of the hammer and it running.

YouTube - Kinyon style air hammer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Interestin' vid,but....to me it seems there isn't much power in it.
But I am bit spoiled by real stuff,which can destroy your piece in nanoseconds;MA,AJAX,Massey,Kuhn,etc.
To be honest,I have never seen compressor powered hammer fast enough and strong enough-there must be at least 225hits per min of considerable power,so staff can finish their piece in one heat.
And technique is must,during that speed fella must be able to turn material between hits to save time and cash.

redanvil,

quote: (# of heats BS)

To make MONEY at Blacksmithing for one, and to prevent excessive scaling marring work for another and in fact many other GOOD reasons (check out the effects of overheating and overworking on tool steels for instance) the number of heats needed to do the job should be kept to a minimum. It is FAR from BS. The less heats you take to do the job the better, so you should be aiming to improve on how much work you do per heat. I accept fully that it took me about four or five FULL heats to do a leaf say, when I first started, now I can do them comfortably in two. That means less fuel burned, more made per hour = higher returns.

Please don't take this as a personal attack, is isn't, but rather putting a wrong idea right.

• 4 months later...
Interestin' vid,but....to me it seems there isn't much power in it.
But I am bit spoiled by real stuff,which can destroy your piece in nanoseconds;MA,AJAX,Massey,Kuhn,etc.
To be honest,I have never seen compressor powered hammer fast enough and strong enough-there must be at least 225hits per min of considerable power,so staff can finish their piece in one heat.
And technique is must,during that speed fella must be able to turn material between hits to save time and cash.

I'm back after being off for a bit. Jan, I wouldn't go too much from that video. I was trying to get back into learning how to use a power hammer. It still needs tuning and a better set of dies. Plus I'm not really working the hammer that hard. It hits harder that what I was doing. Once I get back into production the season and have more than 10 hours in on it, I'll post another video.

redanvil,

quote: (# of heats BS)

To make MONEY at Blacksmithing for one, and to prevent excessive scaling marring work for another and in fact many other GOOD reasons (check out the effects of overheating and overworking on tool steels for instance) the number of heats needed to do the job should be kept to a minimum. It is FAR from BS. The less heats you take to do the job the better, so you should be aiming to improve on how much work you do per heat. I accept fully that it took me about four or five FULL heats to do a leaf say, when I first started, now I can do them comfortably in two. That means less fuel burned, more made per hour = higher returns.

Please don't take this as a personal attack, is isn't, but rather putting a wrong idea right.

Ian, you are definately making a good point. And yeah, as menioned above, I'm more trying to make sure I have a good feel on how to use my hammer before cranking up the power on it.

I do plan on eventually getting a self contained hammer. That way I will be running without the 15 hp compressor and directly running a 5 hp motor. But I need to have enough production to justify the expense. I'm hoping to get there in the next 2 or 3 years. In the meantime, this will get me going, and building up my skills.

But yes, doing more work in less heats will make this a more profitable (as in less likely to fail) enterprise.