I Forge Iron

Trenton anvil

I bought this Trenton anvil today and was wondering if someone could help tell me more about the time it was made and maybe the intended purpose given the shape and extra Pritchel hole. Number on the anvil is 468253 and 147 which I figure is the weight 

39F6EB5F-7A9F-4593-B193-DA38C11E4997.jpeg

Welcome aboard Adam, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. 

Pretty nice looking Trenton I don't see much for wear or damage, good score if you didn't pay crazy money for her. 

She's a farrier's anvil, the protrusion on the side of the horn is for pulling clips on horse shoes. Another clue is how gracile she is, the long horn, thin tail and narrow waste are possible indicators of farrier anvils but the clip puller (whatever it's really called) is a dead give away.

Nice anvil, good score.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Damian, it may not be the official name but clip horn is a good thing to call it. It's short sweet and describes it perfectly. Now if I can just remember it.

The farrier, original owner of my Soderfors anvil ground one corner of the heel maybe 3/8" radius to use as a clip horn. It's a pretty useful feature in general use so I don't think ill of him for grinding on that beautiful old lady. Not the edge, the corner. 

Frosty The Lucky.

just saw this post.   I have a trenton like this and  it is a farriers anvil, and that is a clip horn.   I am a farrier and have had my trenton sine about 1980.  The farrier that sold it to me added the clip horn and it is square, not rounded like yours.  It has 2 pritchel holes and a hardy hole and its weight is 150lbs   SN 197850.    They were made in Columbus ,Ohio by the Columbus Forge and Iron Works.

REB