I Forge Iron

Building simple forge

Daniel P.

I recently decided to try building a simple charcoal forge in my backyard based on the one in this video https://youtu.be/Fuk7Lw_uV5s. I've got some bricks that I plan to coat with a refractory cement and an old hairdryer for air. My question is where to put the forge itself. 

My two main options are a firepit we have on the concrete patio (just a circle of stones, about 2 foot diameter, filled in with the ashes and such of past wood fires), and a dirt patch nearby (~4x8 foot rectangle surrounded by concrete and full of some kind of moss and tiny sprout plants). 

Is there some advantage or disadvantage to either? I'm leaning toward the firepit. 

I have pictures of both on my phone but i'm not sure how to include them

Funny enough I did consider doing just that but decided against it (for now at least).

Apologies but I think you might be confusing me with someone else? I just joined today and I don't know anyone on here. 

Here are the two locations. Obviously I'd wait for it to be a bit more dry before any of this. 

20190610_131341.jpg

20190610_131329.jpg

No I didn't confuse you with someone else. It was a gentle nudge that you haven listed your LOCATION and so many answers to blacksmithing questions are location specific; especially as blacksmithing stuff tends to be expensive to ship. (And folks local to you that you can consult directly---we have over 100 countries participating here on the World Wide Web. If you were local to me; then You would get a tour of a local scrapyard and help getting stuff to get started. Barring bad weather I will be going to the scrapyard Saturday Morning as my Father's Day present!)