I Forge Iron

Liability for teaching

I have been considering offering some classes at my shop. I am concerned about the potential issues that could arise from inviting the untrained public into a place as hazardous as a blacksmith shop. So for those of you that teach, what sort of insurance do you carry to cover the unforeseen? Am I just being paranoid?

Jason, contact your insurance agent. They may well suggest way more than you need, but you will at least have some facts, how much you have to spend, to consider. Having said that I have been invited into others shops for 30+ years without having to sign any type of release form, and always try to return the favor and pass on the knowledge  when I have the chance. Good Luck Al

Jason,

Contact more than one insurance agent.  Ask what influences your rates.  In my experience, they won't volunteer the factors that make a huge difference in your costs or your coverage.  I'm not sure why this is, but every time I've needed a major insurance change, I ended up changing companies because it was significantly better deal.  

Maybe it's just me, but I've found that the best deals tended to come from agents who personally answered their phones on the first call. 

As a final thought, it occurred to me that insurance companies and individual agents might have a limited range of policies that they routinely sell.  Routine reduces their perception of risk.  Asking for something awkward or unfamiliar to their established range, might seem like a higher risk than it really is.

A Blacksmiths shop is full of risk.  However you can do a lot to reduce that risk by making sure that it's as safe, clean, and well-maintained as you can manage.  

I teach at a couple of shops (under their insurance) and a couple of locations with my portable equipment in addition to doing demos at several locations.

To cover me in any event at any location, I got a 2 million dollar liability policy.

Piece of mind for $375 a year.

Also get an agent that is actually interested in helping you. The gunsmith I worked for told me about the trap club he shot at. They needed insurance and couldn't find a company to work with them. Turned out one of the members did insurance and researched gun range incidents, and found that they were a low risk , and did a policy for them that was affordable.