I Forge Iron

yay for scrap steel!!

well in the past cupple days i have been scavenging arround my dad buisness... before he bought it it was an old ty-crop building were they built and fixed trailers...when they sold it they left about 80 tons of scrap steel!!!
also lots of HUGE brake drums.... like the ones from busses...
i have sofar gotten a 1 inch thick piece of square thats 10 feet long..
A 5 foot long piece or 1 inch round...

6 12 foot long pieces of 8th inch sheet steel..

about 10 3 foot pieces of 1 inch round and some 2 inch by 9th inch thick pieces that are 2 feet long...

also theres about 150 feet of 3" C channel

Theres more but i just havent gotten it yet...
anyone have any ideas?

i am planning a walk along the RR tracks soon to get some spiges and whatever alse i can find....

theres lots of little scraps that i wish i could sell off real cheap to metal casters but my dad dosent like the idea of me making money off his steel!!

i get all the steel for free anyway soo......

Now lad all you need is a couple of tons of coal and time to hone your skills and you are set for the summer. Have fun before your old man sells it off. You can make a nice forge out of the brake drums and if you have enough scrap then you can make junk yard power hammer. What fun!:D

I can think of multiple uses for all that 3" channel. Possibilities are endless. Weld it together facing each other, you have an upright for a treadle/junkyard hammer. Could be legs for a various array of stands. Table legs, vise stand upright, etc. etc. Get creative, dude! Ok, back to reality.......

Great score on the free steel, now learn some techniques and make your dad something! :D

BTW, you might want to check on the law before taking that walk; in many countries it's a serious offence to do so (certianly the US and the UK it is). Shame but there we go. (I live near the tracks and know there's quite a lot of clips (good spring steel) and other bits of 'junk' very near to the road. Shame it's also near cameras and a station...

well ya again... today i found a 2 inch block of steel wile clipping the prickles... it measures 1 foot by 1 foot and weighs about 45 or 50 pounds!.
anyone got amyidea what i can use it for?
maby a beater anvil...
i allreaddy have a vulcan so i dont need one

hey matt...

loll get a LONG pole with a heavy duty magnet on it and start fishin!!!! ...

the law here requires being 20 feet away from the tracks soo i have decided on keeping my spare coal money instead of payin the fine

Edited by Sabre

If you have a lot of scrap metal, you might sell some of the stuff that's of no use and buy good stuff. I have a cooperative scap yard near by, where they will let me walk around and pick up anything I want. They sell everything at scrap prices.