I Forge Iron

Brooks anvil question...

I just got hold of a Blacker anvil by John Brooks, and it's got some damage to it. I'm currently planning on milling the face down enough to have a mostly flat surface to work off of, but am holding off until I can figure a few things out. Specifically, what sort of steel the thing was cast from (I'd guess something like 1045, but I don't know); and how it would have been heat treated so I could guess the depth of hardening. I only need to take off .125"-.150", so I don't think it would be a huge deal, but thought I'd look into it a little bit before I did anything. Does anyone know about such things? I hope so, haha. Thanks very much for your time!

I realize that, but I prefer that it has one. Been using them for right around 12 years (24000 hours, give or take), and a flat face is, and has been, my preference. Not saying it's better, but it suits my work and me best. As to pictures, I'll try and post them here soon. Bad internet and all, haha.

The replies are based on people from over 150 countries of the world many of which are just getting started. For those folks, you can make a striking anvil, or make a piece of heavy flat steel plate to fit the hardie hole of your current anvil. That plate can have any edge radius you want and not hurt the current anvil.

!2 years is long enough to realize what you need to make it work for you.  All the best. 

Thanks. So, in these pictures, you can see where a previous owner had gone a little hammer happy with the Blacker, especially with those half on/half off hammer blows. It makes sense why they are there, so I'm not super worried about the anvil being too soft...per se. That's why I asked about heat treating information so I could hazard a guess about how much I could take off. If this were an anvil with a welded on face, this would be a non issue and I wouldn't be seeking advice. The trick is that it's cast steel and I've never had to do anything more than make a few passes with an angle grinder to just clean a cast steel anvil up. I don't want to make a hash of this, and that's why I'm asking. With that, does Anyone know where I could find this information, or mind helping me out if you know? Thanks, all.

IMG_20190319_193307.jpg

IMG_20190319_193310.jpg

IMG_20190319_193320.jpg

IMG_20190320_143337.jpg