I Forge Iron

Summary for reference, orifice size to burner:

Glenn

Summary for reference, orifice size to burner:

The best orifice size for a 1/2" burner is 0.028" orifice diameter. 

The best gas jet orifice size for a 3/8" burner is 0.025"

The best gas jet orifice size for a 1/4" burner is 0.020"

MIG tips only go down to 0.023" call-out size;  the actual size of the orifice, which is .031".

The best angle to set the burner into the tank, is from about 2" away from top dead center, and aimed so that the flame will impinge a little way in from the floor's nearest edge; not at it's center.

If you have an extra wide floor, modify the position of the the burner opening so that it is still aimed inward at a tangiest; not outward.

The best orifice size, not to mention easiest for most people to deal with, turned out to be .020", cut 5/8" long from capillaru tube, and then tuned by shortening with 400 grit sandpaper (on my 3/8" burners).

I found 1/4" burners in my design to be a waste of effort, since my 3/8" could be turned down just as low, but my 1/4" burners could not go as high. A linear design might overcome that.

Frosty: 

Burner output is a function of the area of the mixing tube. A quick approximation I use for estimates is: 1/3 increase in diameter doubles output. Eg. A 1" burner is 2x the output of a 3/4", a 3/4" is 2x the output of a 1/2". So a 1/4" burner is half the output of a 1/4" of a 1/2" burner. So it'll take eight 1/4" burners to equal one 3/4" burner.