I Forge Iron

wire problems

I'm very ignorant when it comes to solving problems with my wire feed. My welder will run for about 3 seconds then the wire gets stuck and the welding stops. When I look at the wire I notice a smashed area that looks like the roller smashed it. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I try to change the roller? Thanks

You do not need all that much tension on the wire in the drive rolls. To much pressure smashes the wire and shears off small particles of the wire and clogs the gun liner. You just need enough pressure to feed the wire without slipping - that's it. - JK

Can be several things. If the rollers are set too tight, they'll flat spot the wire and make it kink. However, it's most likely that your liner is dirty (I'm assuming the machine is not brand new). Another possibility is that the entry point for the liner is not lined up with the rollers - either up and down or side to side, which can cause the wire to kink. The wrong size liner can also be a problem or the wire speed might be turned up too high for the size wire you are using.

I usually pull my liner out periodically and wash with acetone then dip in a good mineral oil. This will give the liner some slickness so the wire will push more easily.

Good luck on fixing your problem.

Also make sure you have the right size drive rollers for the wire. You can't be using .035 wire with .030 rollers. Check the roller size and tension first and then the condition/placement of the liner.

To set the drive roller tension, loosen the rollers until they barely feed the wire. Then continue to tighten the rollers about a 1/2 turn at a time until you can barely stop the wire with your thumb and index finger at the nozzle of the gun. This is more than sufficient tension on the rollers.

I have a wire welder and have had problems with the wire feed. I found that I had a nick in the wire spool and when the wire ran to the edge it would catch in the nick. I removed the spool and filed the nick. Have not had any more problems....
Jerry

Yes, a worn out contact tip is the most common reason for wire feed problems but I would assume that that is the first thing 99.99% of people with wire welders will check. And if THAT's ok, then it has to be something else.

I forgot, it could also be that the liner isn't put in correctly. Not just at the drive rollers, but at the head of the gun too. All liners should come extra long so they can be trimmed to proper length. And most people don't get the liner all the way up into the gas diffuser.

I was taught to set the rollers so that as it feeds, let the wire feed into a solid surface-VERY BRIEFLY- when it stops feeding immediately release trigger. Immediately is important so you only have a kink at the rollers, not a bald eagle's nestI think many folks run too much wheel tension and when things go wrong they have a tangled nightmare. A side note. I carefully fitted a teflon liner in mine- Tweco 3 Pack- stilll on the first one.The advice on having machine end closely fitted up to the rollers and perfectly fitted at the torch end is so valid- when poorly fitted, the feed is ragged and as you think you are fine, that eagle's nest is building up at the rollers and then there are few cuss words that will vent the anger sufficiently.Another no-no is using a roll of wire that has rusted- the little drive wheel struggles to break loose the oxidation glue, and then, another avian condominium. At that point one exhausts the personal cuss word inventory and then you have to stop and turn on a comic performing on HBO.mike--PS- I regularly spray the roll of wire with food grade silicone spray- a shot on in the nozzle helps too.m

Edited by racer3j