I Forge Iron

Paint before Clay

TongieWelder

Yes or No depending on information like location and how you will be using it.  Where I live it tends to be very dry and minimal shelter will keep the forge dry and condensation is a rare event===dew is a subject for conversation wen it occurs.  Where you live????

Ditto Thomas, depends on where you live and how you're going to use it. I ram mine with clay when I'm going to use it then store the clay in a plastic bucket when I'm not. It makes it about 50 lbs. lighter to load in the pickup too.

Think Ospho or another phosphate paint if you're going to paint it.

Frosty The Lucky.

7 hours ago, TongieWelder said:

clay it in the refactory cement with sand

Forget the refractory cement. That's been discussed many times, it's made for sticking fire bricks together and isn't very good for claying a forge not much better than Plaster of Paris & sand. 

BTW welcome to IFI... have you read this yet? It will help you get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST

The forges that say clay before using are usually cast iron so no real need to paint before applying the clay. You can use river bank clay if there is some near you or make your own from cheap unscented kitty litter with bentonite clay listed as an ingredient, sand and water to mix to a stiff consistency. If you have a pottery supply store near you fire clay will work very well.