I Forge Iron

Mounting post vise to forge

Pr3ssure

So I've been thinking whether I should mount my post vise to my forges frame or if I should make a stand.

This is an old picture but I'm thinking on one of the front legs welding a plate and support to mount the vise. When I move the forge back inside I can just remove the wedge and key and move them separately. That I think would be the easiest for making it a movable vise but it would be confined to my forge. Unless I also made a post mount of course. I guess my question is, is that a bad idea?

20181003-3.jpg.d8b4750b1cdc661291fe32f1a200f634.jpg

Your set up might not be ideal for anything other than a small machinists vice, but on forges with big tables postvices mounted to one end works great.

1450F7B3-19B0-4AD6-B1D6-EA738F5F147D.jpeg

With your 4 wheel set up and small table it will be aufly close to your fire and you will have to place a block under the vice.  

Now the last cavalry forge issued buy the US army acualy had a small machinests vise that sat on one corner and a small anvil on the other.