I Forge Iron

Homemade Forging Press Dangers?

Momatt

Hey Guys, I would like to be able to forge larger stock in general and punching axe/hammer eyes with one has a lot of appeal.  A power hammer  is not practical for my situation but a press is very intriguing.  I saw a homemade one for sale on craigslist (st louis) and considered it for about 10 minutes, it doesn't appear to be well made lots of 2 by 4s used in mounting the motor, pump and hoses that looks pretty sketchy although there do seem to be some good components used.     Hoses exposed to hot iron could turn your workshop into quite a flame thrower i suppose. It seems common sense that with the forces involved a press coming apart could lead to a serious injury.  One of the commercial ones is probably where  I should go as I'm not a skilled welder.  What would you be concerned about in considering purchase of a home made press?     

I'd be concerned I didn't know: A good weld from chicken tracks, sound structural fabrication, hydraulic systems, wiring necessary to safely operate the machine, etc. A hydraulic press has to control a huge amount of force and requires significant energy to generate it. A mistake in any one can result in a catastrophic failure that could result in dangerously airborne metal, water jet pressure jets of hydraulic fluid, not to mention carburating it into an explosive mix in the shop. 

Buy a commercially made one.

Frosty The Lucky.