I Forge Iron

Hello all. I am just beginning to forge and to put together the necessary equipment. At the moment I’m using a section of railroad that belonged to my grandfather. I’m in south Florida and anvils seem to be less common here. The anvil pictured is currently for sale. The listed weight is 236 and comes with the leg less(?) post vise and home made(?) anvil stand pictured  the seller is asking $1,500 or best offer. From the best I can tell it appears to be in fairly good shape as the edges and face look clean. Is there anything I should ask the seller (more picture, specific marking, etc)? Is this a fair price in the current market  based on searches it appears a few years ago this would have been overpriced but I know the markets have changed. The anvil is located about two hours from my house so I would like to be fairly certain that this is the anvil for me prior to viewing it in person  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Andrew

’ 

E0BF68E6-F481-4515-B240-AF9947EBC02D.jpeg

Based on the provided link it appears most believe it to be too high. The Anvil below was also on my radar. I liked the peter wright for the history and I could not find any information about this anvil. The closest was a post on Bladeforums asking if another anvil may have been made by Doug Noren. This following informstion is provided “158-160 lb. 8640 cast steel anvils. The anvils are hardened and tempered to a Rc hardness of 52-55 and have excellent rebound. The work surface is 4" x 16". The hardy hole is 7/8" square and the pritchel hole is 1/2" diameter.” Based on the top view it appears to have been milled and I know the raised letters in the name indicates it was cast. However that is all the information I can gather. Has anyone heard of this brand of anvil? He is asking $850

088E55F0-C74F-40E5-BB65-815D9AC1BC40.jpeg

657E5788-3348-4AD6-8C16-DD89906FFEDE.jpeg

Hi; I've never driven a car before should I buy a Maserati or a Lamborghini to learn on?

Have you read the improvised anvil thread about making/finding anvils for little or no money? (below)

For some reason folks seem to think they have to have a london pattern anvil even though that type has only existed for about 200-300 years while other types we in use for 3000 years. In particular follow the link I posed of a Japanese swordsmith forging a traditional katana and look at both the anvil and forge he is using to make a masterpiece!

You mean like this one for US$25?

http://www.marco-borromei.com/fork.html

Of course I was the person who told them were to get it---I still have the other tine in my possibles pile.

I haven't used that brand but the alloy and heat treat are very much like the NIMBA anvils that are very good and the price is cheaper per pound.  Are there any good blacksmithing conferences you could attend with the cash and see what's for sale and with no shipping?

If you have the money to spend; you can spend it however you like and add me to your ignore list.  I've just been forging for 38 years on the cheap and trying to help all the folks who may not have the money to spend.  Got a new student coming over tomorrow and we'll probably go through the local fleamarket looking for kit... I also freely share my favorite scrapyard's location out here.

• 1 year later...
On February 2, 2019 at 10:40 PM, Andrew00100 said:

Based on the top view it appears to have been milled and I know the raised letters in the name indicates it was cast. However that is all the information I can gather. Has anyone heard of this brand of anvil?

Where did you find this listed for sale? I currently use the same anvil and love it, we’re trying to find another since he stopped making them. If you didn’t purchase I would be interested in contacting the seller.