I Forge Iron

Press build for 5" bore and 12" stroke

Dayne

Hello everybody oh, it's been a very long time since I've posted. I just wanted to have a share of my press progress so far. I opted for a 5 inch cylinder with a 12 inch stroke powered by + 11 + 3 gallon a minute pump. I have a 3 horse electric motor that runs on 220 to go with it. I've seen and heard mixed things about whether or not that much power will be adequate but I figure worst case scenario I buy a larger motor to get me up to 3000 psi instead of 2000. These are a couple pictures where I'm at. Just need to clean everything up and prepare it for welds.

20190118_155009.jpg

20190118_155005.jpg

• 1 year later...

Are those both 5" rams? How are you equalizing flow and psi? That'll be pushing 40 sq/in, what do you have for a pump? It's going to be fluid hungry to get any speed but once it starts to squeeze it's going to be a brute.

Is that video straight off your phone? It's a real bandwidth hog and doesn't show anything 3-4 stills wouldn't show more clearly. A short video on Youtube with a link posted here once you get it moving would tell us more than stills, ESPECIALLY when you have glowy steel in it. 

Looking good, I can't see anything I don't think will work.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

I sure hope you're going to drop by more often than every couple months! 

The 3.5 cylinder is going to want to bend the press towards the 3" cylinder.  1/2" may not sound like much but it's not just a 1/2 sq in difference, it's significant. 7sq/in. vs 9.62sq/in. If your pump develops a measly 10,000 psi that means the larger ram is pushing with 26,200lbs more force on that side!

A twin cylinder press MUST have matched cylinders. It's a rule, honest it is.

Frosty The Lucky.