I Forge Iron

almost there

k so ive been scrounging around for some supplys to smith and ive got my anvil, a vice...of some sort, crosspeen, ballpeen, a minisledge. a bunch of metal buckets for various reasons. still lookin for some tongs advice on that would be apreciated. still building my forge. am i missing anything?

Tong making is a great exercise in smithing too, as it uses many common tasks a smith needs to learn and perfect anyway. i. e. drawing, offsetting, punching, cutting, etc. Keep in mind, as I'm sure many smiths will agree, your first pair may not turn out as a useful tool :D but they won't be useless. You learn from everything you do, even if its how NOT to do it next time :)

It's often best to keep your first piece on display to remind you of progress. It's also a good thing to show students who get discouraged. ;)

Also, visegrips were invented by a smith who got tired of dropping things.

Frosty

Give it to your Mother then, it'll get a prominent place for display and be bragged about for as long as she's around.

Then if there's any dispute it'll be between the parental units and you can guilt the opposition into something good. ;)

Frosty

Edited by Frosty
Because sentences should make sense.

That's assuming the first set doesn't come out correctly.... First set I made were the best of the first 10! Scary!

Besides, assuming you will fail helps to make it happen.... read up on the techniques, practice the seperate skills, then make the tongs.....

My only advice would be to warm up with the practice skills, drawing, tapering, slitting, drifting, etc the same day you want to make the tongs... I've found that I make fewer mistakes and mis-strikes that way....

I also plan out each step so to minimize the time spent with the steel out of the fire.... Walk through the steps, especially for forge welding, before the metal is at the correct temp.... works for me.... ;)

so when i incorectly make the tongs can they be pounded back together into a billot so i can try again or do i have to use new stock

I'm taking this as a jest :) But just in case I mis-interpreted, it is best that you start with new, or at least, different stock. The reasons are too numerous to list here ;)

a half hearted jest, but it was also serious cuz although i am confident in my abilities i know that eventualy i will screw up

oh also if anyone knows any blacksmiths in colorado springs that may be willing to pass on some knowledge, id rather learn from them than just blueprints and id be much obliged