I Forge Iron

Useful hammer?

Taylen

I was wondering if a hammer like this would be good for forging , I was looking to get into blacksmithing and  knifemaking so I’m looking around for tools to get started. It was labelled as a stoning hammer but I’m not sure if it could be classed as a mini sledge.

D797B6CC-73AB-459A-B02E-14FA007951B8.jpeg

Sure  if you dress the face so it has a more of a rocker curve to it instead of the hard angle edges.

If we knew which of the 100+ countries that participate here you were in we might be able to suggest a better one to start with.  I usually don't pay more than US$5 for a 1 hand hammer; but I buy most of mine at fleamarkets and garage sales.  Many of them are old and already dressed appropriately for smithing.

I picked up one very much like that when I was in the Netherlands for a special use hammer---used with my screwpress to make sharp transitions.

It'll service beginning smiths just fine with a dressing of the faces as ThomasPowers mentioned.  1 KG might be a hair heavy for some but not too bad. Usually a good starter size is about 2 lbs and 1kg is about 10% higher.  Some people even prefer to go a little lighter--somewhere around .75kg until they develop a little more control.  It depends on how much hammer practice you have already had in your life--and in spite of how simple it seems, it does take practice:  Your body needs to learn hammer control with muscle memory and that doesn't come instantly.

If you can get one with a straight or cross peen side rather than flat on both sides (not ball peen), that'd be even better as a first hammer---more uses once that peen side has been properly dressed.  Ball peen later when you start collecting hammers and find one cheap in a junk sale.

No claw hammers--except as something to forge into something else :) 

5 hours ago, Taylen said:

I’m from the uk

We won't remember this once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show location. You might want to look at the sticky, Store bought hammer mods, if you do pick it up.https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/29218-store-bought-hammer-mods/