I Forge Iron

Katana Forging; Traditional

ThomasPowers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxwWf-MfZVk

Pretty good, a few issues---like the billet heats from the inside out in the forge or other swords are not made from differing steels. However a lot of great information too; like the conserving of carbon content and how the carbon content decreases with the welding and forging!

A marvelous example of NOT needing a London Pattern Anvil and a Marvelous example of a charcoal forge design and forge welding using it!

I enjoyed it very much, but a few things were off.   Too bad the narrator doesnt know the difference between heating and smelting (around the 6 minute mark) then the comment about straw ash being used to prevent over heating is a bit out there as well as the tempers the blade by quenching statement, It is possible its all translation errors made in the English version of the readers text.

Not as bad as some I have seen; I remember one where JPH's comment was to the effect  that it was very good *IF* you turned the sound off and just watched what they did and ignored the commentary...

What I really liked was: the design of the forge for charcoal, the use of pine charcoal, simple bellows air provision and the use of a "block" anvil to make an exquisite sword.  Refreshing after all the folks telling us they can't forge a knife because they cant get---coal, a london pattern anvil, a blower, hardwood charcoal, etc and so on.

Translation can be a big issue; I once had to review some earthquake bracing plans sent to us for a Japanese installation---all in Japanese.  Luckily I found a native Japanese speaker who worked in our company and could read it---but she brought along a technical Japanese Dictionary, (Japanese to Japanese), as she had no background in mechanical engineering.  I still remember one remark that "this was like where a ship goes????" Which I realized was steel "channel" and say---"Good, what are the dimensions?"  As might be expected it was a superb design for earthquake bracing; but I still had to review and "bless it".

• 3 weeks later...

Iv seen this video... and the most annoying thing is trying to find an actual forged sword meaning it has the tapers... 70% as he puts it. you only get that effect with a proper forging technique to do it, which annoyingly enough every time a katana build is posted it has neither... which is to say just about everything everyone seems to make is little more then a strait bar that's got a hamon on it.

not to mention the wrong lamination's...

I dont flame every katana thats posted but I do alot of eye rolling and sighing in disappointment at the "lack of smithing..."

It effects balance, the performance and structural integrity.

Not to mention that using a power hammer doesnt make the ripples in the layers having to hand draw it makes another point of structural integrity on any blade, though I have seen a pseudo effect by the better smiths in how they draw it but its still... even.

not to mention the ascetic qualities, 

which leaves me stuck hand forging steel because I cant buy something that is not made... lmao.