I Forge Iron

Can anyone tell who made my blower

Jacob Oberle

This is my dad's crank blower which I have been using. But i am curious about the make and or history of the wonderful machine. The only markings I see on the thing is an old faded and worn sticker which is a bit disappointing. Too bad it didn't have the make cast into it like some other good old blowers we all know and love. 

Anyways my curiosity is peaked but I'm stumped. So If anyone out there could lend me their knowledge it would be greatly appreciated. 

P.s. sorry I didn't think to take better pictures before asking you all for help...

Thanks guys

God bless

Jake

20181211_073915.jpg

20181211_073906.jpg

20181211_073852.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

That's a hard question for me to answer since this is the only functioning hand blower I have used to date. But I can say that it works beautifully once I put the proper gear oil in it. I can also say that if the forge is empty and I really crank on it it'll blow my short hair around if I lean over the bowl ever so slightly... so I'd say it blows great. Also it can be cranked in either direction and still blow perfectly fine unlike some. I'm sure there's a name for this style but I don't know it. Anyways I'll try and get some better pictures up asap if for no other reason than to show off :)

• 2 months later...

Jacob Oberle I  know  this is an older thread , but could your father have fabricated it himself? Or maybe pieced it together from other machines?

You said it had a sticker. Is it a sticker or badge? It looks too old to have a sticker made from anything besides paper or foil. paper doesn't hold up too well but who knows. 

I'm curious, who doesn't love a mystery?  

Pnut (Mike)

I'm no expert and wouldn't be surprised if someone posted in five minutes who knows exactly who the manufacturer is, but to me it looks cobbled together. A fine example of farmers ingenuity if you ask me. I think it's great whoever made it and if it's made by his father or other family members that's even better.

Pnut (Mike)

Well that certainly would be like my dad to do something like that, but no. He tells me that he bought it at an auction sale. But certainly someone did piece it together. But the crank which is what I'm most interested in is certainly professionaly made. But I would definitely it a sticker... maybe made of a thin foil like you say pnut.

• 1 month later...

I dont want to necro this post but seeing this gearbox sparked my memory, this is a calendar from the sharples tubular cream separator company from about a century ago, the gearbox is a dead ringer to your blower. Definitely a neat piece, made by someone quite clever.

B84AC6A8-8F82-4861-A042-41B6CDD38E1B.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Jacob Oberle said:

“my good sir.”

Actually, im a woman :D but happy to help! That calendar has been hanging in the kitchen for a while and by sheer luck it so happened i saw your thread. To be perfectly honest it looks like as solid a machine as you could want, at least on par with my Cannedy Otto. I see these at antique swaps sometimes and ive got half a mind to see if I can find one with the stand to really kitbash into a fancy looking blower. Thanks for sharing the pictures as I love seeing the old fashined make-dos people came up with!