I Forge Iron

Knife snapping

Hollon

I was grinding on a knife yesterday and I noticed a crack. I proceeded to bang the knife against the floor once, which snapped the knife in half. My question is what could've caused this? I did cool it from a black heat, and did straighten it cold some, those are my guesses why. Anyone else have any idea. Also it was made from a HC RR spike

something happened.

IF you want more detailed answers, we need more detail of the blade, steel type, new/used?, HT, annealed?> forge/stock removal? thickness...

it could be many things, but with out knowing, its all wild guesses. forged?

Hollon a wild guess is that it was not tempered, those spikes are not high enough carbon to make aknife from but if you were to harden in water from a non magnetic heat and then not temper at all you might have a problem such as yours.There is really a lot to this knife business that relates to basic blacksmithing skills. I am not sure what your back ground is so forgive me if that seems like a slight. Give us a bit more info and maybe we can help more.

The steel was a HC railroad spike, it was forged, but had not been heat treated yet. As I said though, I did cool it in water from a black heat, but I didn't think this would harden it enough to cause cracks. I did not anneal before forging as I thought it would be unnecessary. If you have other questions, ask them, and I will answer.

annealing is done after forging to relieve stress. when heated to forging temps it erases most of anything that was done before.

Old spikes may have stress fractures in there already, New won't have them.

sharp angles, areas of drastic transition of thickness, are stress risers in themselves. so dont use a 90 degree inside corner, rather a small rounding at the intersection to avoid this problem.

hammering too cold. Most steels have a temperature range they are happy to be forged in, and a range that they are very "annoyed" in IF hammered at black heat it can crack from that..

Please don't give up, keep trying. Used materials have their own problems that cant be avoided. only worked around

"Just when I finally figure out where its at, somebody moves it!!"** LOL
I am confused. I thought "normalizing" after forging was to relieve stress. What is the difference between normalizing and annealing?

** quote from Ziggy

ok Normalizing is to relieve stress. Annealing does that PLUS softens the steel a lot more. to allow easier shaping cold, ir grinding, filing, sanding,, I better pay more attention to the words I chose.

Sorry for any confusion my pea brain caused..

LOL, Steve,
No prob! I wasn't trying to put you on the spot :D I'm still a newbie as far as metallurgy goes and I'm better edjumakated now and the difference is finally clear in my mind. Makes perfect sense. Thanks,
Scott :)

Dodge,
Being fairly green (or shiney, as it were... lol) I'm not up on all the lingo... but I'm pretty sure that the only difference between annealing and normalizing is the cooldown duration. When I normalize after forging (prior to heat treat) I simply lay the red pc on the bricks to let the colour fade out (3 times minimum) and when I anneal, so I can work the steel with tools, I shut the forge down an close it up with the pc inside to cool VERY slowly. I'm not sure what the cooling rate is to achieve good tooling properties... so i may be a little overkill on the annealing.

Rick

Ps. How is that anvil comming along, bro?