I Forge Iron

Forge as a foundry

Just to be clear this is not an area of expertise I have. I would welcome any information. I have been blacksmithing for a decade now. I am not trying to reinvent the wheel but I am interested in gaining some more knowledge. I run a gutter company and get quite a bit of copper gutters and downspout(I would cut out the lead joints)I was curious if it is a simple enough process given the equipment I have a twin burner propane forge lined with 2" of #8 kaowool and sealed with a refractory cement.  Both ends are open but can be sealed with fire brick for the process. I have a small crucible with lid for the project. I have always enjoyed red smithing. I feel I could do a lot with the copper ingots. I am aware the cost of propane might not make it profitable but that’s not the point for me. Anyways if it’s doable and realistically I would appreciate the advice(I am always trying to expand my skill set).

Thanks frosty. I figured I would give it a go but wasn’t sure if the geometry was going to make it impossible(or sometype of convection I couldn’t conceive). I may consider a melter if I decide to try casting anything(got a ton of mini anvils I have kind of wanted to cast) will see how this goes first. 

It should conceivably work so long as you can safely handle getting the crucible in and out of the furnace.  Typically copper gets run with a glassy cap or crushed charcoal to keep the oxygen off during melting.  Not done any melts beyond aluminum, m'self, so I'd advise reading up on the techniques to run cuprous alloys over at AlloyAvenue. 

Thanks for the information so far the research I have done has suggested borax as an additive but will do step by step research before I give it a go. As for the removal of the crucible I have several tongs from foundries and wheel Wright’s(extra long) that don’t serve a practical purpose in my shop so a little modification and they should work perfectly for the project. 

• 2 months later...

Well... I have done very small crucibles just using a brick wall/blower charcoal forge and melted steel even in it before. Its not exactly as if our ancestors had all this fancy stuff either so if all else fails you can easily rig up a brick set up for under 30$.

iv done a few copper melts using old keys and bullet casings, works decently but propane should get you there easily.