I Forge Iron

Maintaining fire, help?

Tx_druid

Hello, I built a coal forge about two weeks ago and at first I was using hardwood lump charcoal. I was getting good heat and very little smoke. Recently I purchased a a bulk order of bituminous coal and I understand that it smokes a lot at first but then it dissipates, I managed that but instead of burning steady as a bright bed of coal it basically just turned into a fire. The fire stayed contained in the forge but I was wondering if that was normal. With the lump there was rarely much in the way of flames but this just kept igniting but didn't build much of a glow.

You need at least another tool. You need a water can.

You should start your fire, then bank "green" coal around the sides and back. don't scrimp on the coal. But put it outside your fire twards the sides of the forge. Then use your water can to keep the "green" coal wet and not burning. Then use your poker to gently pull the coked coal into the center of your fire to keep your work at the temp you want

Green coal is the unburnt coal that is waiting to be coked. Do not let this get into your fire, let it coke around the edges. When the green coal gets into your fire, you get smoke. More green, more smoke.

In my forge, I usually start the day with a 5 gal bucket of coal.

This is your basic fire control.

If you were learning to drive a car would you try to learn by asking on the internet or would you find someone who knows how to drive and ask them to demonstrate.

If you are near West TX; let me know and I can show you, If near central TX the Balcones Forge ABANA affiliate can help; you will need to visit the ABANA Affiliate page if you are elsewhere in Texas, assuming you are in Texas and not one of the many other TX abbreviations, RS232 anyone?

Also do you know that this coal is good for blacksmithing? We generally advose testing a 5 gallon bucket before making a bulk purchase!.

Welcome TX... I suggest reading this thread to get the best out of the forum.https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53873-read-this-first/

Like anvil Said, you want the coal that's turned into coke in the fire, the green coal turns to coke around the edges of the coke fire. You might want to read this thread about fires.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/30887-forges-and-fires/