I Forge Iron

Champion 400 Phospher Bronze Gear Wear

Chelonian

Hi, first post here. I recently purchased a Champion 400 forge blower for a very good price (60$!). It is in fairly good condition, except for the phosphor bronze helical cut gear. The teeth have worn extremely thin, and I worry that it will not last much longer. My guess is that it was run without oil for a long time since it was completely dry when I got it. All the other gears look fine, it's just the phosphor bronze one that's worn.

My questions are:

How long might it last if I keep it well cleaned and oiled?

Is there a way to adjust the mesh between the gears to make it wear less?

If it does wear through and stop working, is there any way to get a replacement?

Any and all help appreciated! Thanks! smile.gif

Champion Blower 001.jpg

Champion Blower 012.jpg

Welcome to IFI...

That gear looks like it's on it's last legs. No telling how much longer it will last if you start it gently, one hard crank could strip it out. As far as I know there are no new replacements. I would keep my eye out for another, that has a good gear but other issues that make it reasonable in price.

Don't hold it against a previous owner, things have a lifespan, a few drops of oil won't make one last forever.  I'm afraid mine may be dead, it got rough, then very rough and hardly turns now, took a couple hours. I'm hoping a keeper or bushing slipped and I can revive it. If not I'll have to come up with something else.

If I have a gear worn like yours I may rig a tig welder from my little wire feed, buy a bottle of argon, appropriate rod and see about building it up and cleaning it. That's just a thought for now, I haven't opened it up and evaluated it. I'm not in a hurry though I'm mostly a propane forge guy.

Having one machined on the other hand isn't in the cards for me at all, I could buy several outside and ship them north for less money.

Frosty The Lucky.