I Forge Iron

BECMA swage block

kuzuzu

Hello! It is quite difficult to find a used swage plate in Greece. The cheapest solution for me seems to be the BECMA swage plate that costs 314 euros -->360 usd. The weight is 35 kg.

LP.30-1_ml.jpg

Is it worth the money? My next option would be to order from angele.de but the prices are out of my pocket's capacity. Thank you for your time!

Hi. Something similar second hand on eBay (UK) will cost around GBP 200 - 250, and will typically be cast iron. So yeah, if I had the need of one, I'd go with something new like this. I think Daswulf has it on the head, though - would you use it enough/are there alternatives better suited?

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

would you use it enough to make it worth the money?

I don't think i will ever use any of my heavy tools to the extent that will make them worth the money:rolleyes:. Maybe many years later. But to my defence i must say it will be a gift. I have to choose for a blacksmith/bladesmith tool up to 500euro. I was thinking a Tormek but a swage block would be nice.

53 minutes ago, Neal the smith said:

Hi. Something similar second hand on eBay (UK) will cost around GBP 200 - 250, 

Similar Items from ebay (UK) unfortunately are collection only.

1 hour ago, Ferrous Beuler said:

Will that foundry ship to the U.S.?

You will have to email them. I did mail them to ask the same question for Greece and they answered the same day.

15 minutes ago, kuzuzu said:

a Tormek but a swage block would be nice.

Pick the tool you think you will use the most for what you are making. 

I think swage blocks can be very handy. I just picked up a smaller 50# with dishing depressions. (Which "I" would use more than through holes) Some people use them a good bit while others I have heard that swage blocks sit around collecting dust or end up another surface to collect tools on. All depends on what you make and if you can use it. I personally don't see them as a bad tooling investment, since they won't expire, if you have a use for it and the money won't set you back from a better " more useful" tool investment. 

Now, if you don't already have a welder, That would be a very useful tool!