I Forge Iron

Sanderson Brothers Vulcan Works Sheffield

Thomas powers I have not checked or do I own a copy of anvils in America. I figured with it being marked Sheffield (England) it wouldn't be in there. I have found that anvils made in Sheffield England at that era. Was kinda muddy waters. People would have others make anvils and have there name put on it instead of for say mousehole. I have found references to Sanderson Brothers but no real information.

11 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Thank you, there just is not allowed out there about Sanderson Brothers anvils. I was more curious if mousehole made it, because it looks like one. Really I'm just going to enjoy using a real Anvil instead of my forklift Fork that I have been using.

On 10/3/2018 at 6:58 PM, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Mousehole did not make it. It was made by Vulcan Works in Sheffield England (long out of business).

A friend sent me this picture. This is why I wondered if it was made by mousehole, also mine has a  sharp ridge under the horn. I was hoping for an easy answer but I don't think I will be able to find one.

Vulcan anvil.jpg

23 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Only 67 pages about English anvils in Anvils in America; because there were a lot of anvils exported from England to America. But you were right that there was not much about the Vulcan works anvils.

Thank you Thomas powers, I may have to order one of those books

1 minute ago, Bill saunders said:

196 lbs of pure joy in my eyes

Absolutely a very fine anvil indeed.

BTW... when quoting it's best not to include pictures or very long text. I'm sure one of the moderators will get on you, but don't take it personal.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53040-the-quote-feature/