I Forge Iron

Need help getting a burner running (NOT for a forge)

drewmyrtle

1 hour ago, John in Oly, WA said:

Guinness induced ingenuity

InGuinnessenuity? Hmmmm.

Yes Drew, you can open the air intakes some or reduce the jet diameter.  I'm thinking larger cans, go auto exhaust tubing they'll take the heat better and it's available as drops at muffler shops, it cuts with a hack saw easily. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

Haha glad to see we've created a new word, now we just have to send it into Webster and see if it makes it into the next edition! Just an update, the muffler shop around the corner had a scrap 2.5" exhaust pipe, it was a piece with a lot of bends but the straight part was enough to get my piece out of it. The old guy that helped me didn't seem to have the best welding skills in the world, so while I wouldn't trust my car to them (good to know...), he was able to get my burner put together. I'll post pictures and a video in the evening (so you can get a better look at the flame). I'm going to change out the MIG tip as well to see what effect that has. Thanks for all your help guys, you're the best!

Here's the "finished" product. It doesn't look great, but it's working pretty well. I might get a nicer one made in the future now that I know exactly what's involved. A mechanic friend of mine had the flare end made at a different muffler shop; it's crude but suits my needs well for now. I'll change to a smaller MIG tip if I have a chance tomorrow to try to get rid of that  yellow flame and post back tomorrow.

IMG_20180921_183140.jpg

IMG_20180921_183112.jpg

IMG_20180921_183122.jpg

IMG_20180921_183058.jpg

IMG_20180921_183133.jpg

IMG_20180921_183159.jpg

• 6 months later...