I Forge Iron

Old acetylene oxy rig- looking for advice

MotoMike

I have my late fathers oxy acetylene  rig.  it includes both regulators and a bunch of cracked hose.  3 torches all cutting.  It has been probably 40 years since they've been used.  The regulator tank connections have been open.  one torch has been sealed to a hose set connected to the regulators, two torches have connections open but the valves are closed.  should they still work?  Is there some maintenance that should be done?  can they be washed down with soap and water.    I have some new hose sets and would not have planned on using the old ones.   Should I just hook them up and give them a try?  

thanks in advance

Greetings Mike,

It would be best to take your regulators to the welding supplier and have them checked out.. The tanks will probably need recertification also .. I would never use a questionable set of torches. Why risk it.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

They should work, check the open ones for critters & dirt though and probably have to clean the tips. Is there still pressure in both bottles? Definitely replace the hoses and install anti-backfire valves if they aren't there. My O/A set is over 50 years old and work like a charm. If there is no gas in the bottles they will have to be hydro tested before they can be filled.

I'm at a standstill presently owed to my lack of ambulation and that the acetylene regulator has a commercial 300 fitting on it and my tank is a 510.     Dad rented tanks so when he passed, they went back to the vender.  20 years after that the rig minus the tanks were offered to me.  at that time I blew out the regulator ports with air and taped them closed, but they were open for 20 years.  Now 20 years later I'm considering their use.  I guess it is good advice to have them checked out.  Though it runs contrary to my normal MO.  I purchased a set of tanks size 3 and Q both still in hydro for at least 5 years and full.  Dad had big tanks I don't know the size, but they were at least twice the size of mine.  I guess that explains the acy fitting on his regulators.  I think I can thread out the nipple and female nut composing the 300 fitting and just replace it with a 510 nipple and male nut.  

Thanks very much

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well, the Acetylene doesn't work and two repair places advise it is obsolete though allow someone might have rebuild parts in stock. Airco.  tag shows it to be an  806 9102.  looking at the Airco prints, it seems to be an 8100 series.  So I have acquired a new set.