I Forge Iron

Composite (two-material) Punches, Chisels, slitters, etc.?

HojPoj

When looking for affordable bits of S7 and H13 materials for hotwork tools, there seems to be a greater availability of small rod pieces that are about 3" long, and sub-1" in diameter.  If making smaller tooling whose business end isn't big, is there a way to put a larger shank on the tool steels and use them as though they were a monolithic tool? 

More to the point, if one could make a large shank (of 4140, for example) that could be shrunk-fit over a piece of tool steel, would such an arrangement hold up to occasional use?  I'm not proposing that the tool steels be interchangeable, a proper shrink-fit would make it darn-near impossible to remove the inserted tool steel rod.

I didn't bring up forge welding the pieces together since I've not seen any mentions of being able to do so with these series of steels (only really seen instances of adding a carbon steel cutting edge to implements like axes).

IMG_0727[1].JPG

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have stone chisels with tungsten carbide tips silver brazed onto a simple steel shaft. You could make it cheaper to use basic a36 for the shaft. Shrink fitting the good steel in the shaft should work, you could also hold it with a set screw or two to make it replaceable. Brazing would probably mess with the temper of the working end. Go for it, and let us know how it goes.

Steve

I've done it and haven't had a problem.  It's a good way to use found roller bearings that are too short for hot work and can be ground to a nice shape.  I'll often chuck a 1/2" bearing into the drill and then hold it against the bench grinder to make round-nose punches that are every bit as nice as could be turned in a lathe.  Add some 1" mild steel and a handle.... and you've got a neat little tool that'll last for ages. 

11895992_996710933715018_311426718379172

Excellent!  Thanks for the confirmation everyone!  

Irondragon, I believe the majority of my stuff will likely to be made from coil springs or other less expensive alloys, it's just that if I need a tool that would significantly benefit from the heat toughness of one of the tool steels I wanted to be sure that such an arrangement would actually work out.