I Forge Iron

P5 vs P6 flypress

ChrisB

I went with the p5 ... I can do everything I want to do with it .... also consider how long you will be useing it in a day..... the extra weight in flywheel will equil extra effort to run flywheel ! what to you plan on useing it for? I use mine to do die work (make acorns on 3/8 sq and other dies) and sheet work(makes ladles real nice!). I occasionally do other things with it but thats my main use...so do you need the extra power? dont know but eather one will be nice!

I have an old #5 fly press. I can punch a slot (flat ended punch) 1 inch by 1/8 through a 1 inch square bar with 7 bumps. 6 from one side and 1 to clear the slug.
The big issue for me when I started to do this was not the size of the press but the thickness of the table on the base and the amount it flexed under load.

I started with a 1/2 inch plate and quickly went to 1-1/4 thick.

The next problem was one of slop in the flypress.
When fully extended so that the business end of my punch rested upon the plate I had some 'wobble' to the tool.

I did tighten up the ways a little -but I also move the table up another 2-1/2 inches. That removed the wobble and gave me the accuracy that I wanted.

Make sure that you have some method of stripping the hot bar from the tool welded to your table.

The question I'd actually ask would be, do you have the equipment to move the extra weight of a 6 around the shop and get it set up safely? I've got a small fly press (somewhere between a large 2 and a small 3) and even that weighs well over 600lbs with the base.

Most people say that a 6 is the largest size you can use by yourself, so if you think you'll need the force, a 6 may be the way to go based on the "Get as big a tool as you think you'll need, then go one size up" but I've seen a lot of work done with a substantially smaller one which looks like it'd work just as well for your purpose that you have stated here.

My small one I use on 5/8ths to punch and drift for hatchet heads forged from railroad spikes.

Btw, Mark, great to see such a well known and spectacular smith such as yourself here on iforgeiron ! I'm looking forward to seeing your demonstrations at the atlantic coast blacksmith conference this fall.