I Forge Iron

Hello

I have been away from my forge for 2 years due to a motorcycle accident. Now it is time to get the hammer back in hand and begin trying to remember what I think I knew. In the past couple weeks I have done a couple real small projects and my body just isn't impressed with the idea of smithing. So I am having to take it a bit slower than I would like.

My interest in smithing came when I was very young. My great grandfather was a smith by profession, and although he passed away before I was born his equipment sat unused in his garage until I was about 6 years old. That is when I sat in my dads truck and watched him load all great gradpa's tools into the back of the truck and proceeded to the scrap yard. I know there was at least 5 anvils, post vises, tongues of every type and sort. The only thing that was kept was a few hammers. I did obtain one of these hammers and it is by far my favorite.
As for my smithing, I started out working in an early 1800 village with a gentleman who helped me with the basics and yet allowed me to make enough mistakes to keep myself frustrated with me and not him. My mentor has since past away but I and about 5 others that I know of carry on his teachings in some fashion.

I still forge with coal. Currently I am using a portable ratchet forge that was in bad shape when I had found it... I worked it over and it works great but I am also in the process of gathering the goods for a more permanent forge as I try and finally set up my shop. It gets very old draggin things out and then dragging them back away.

Besides my love of smithing, we also operate a small scale farm where we raise most of our own meat and much of our own vegetables. I also tinker with leather work, carpentry, and many other areas interest. As part of my rehab from the wreck I even learned to crochet... I am also the scoutmaster for the Boy Scout Troop here in our small town.

I was trying to locate a different smithing site via google when I stumbled across iforgeiron. I am very impressed with the way posts are answered and the helpful nature of those involved. I look forward to participating here and there in this community of smiths.

James

Edited by ironrosefarms

Howdy form East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI!!
How sad about the lose of your great-grandfathers tools, but that was not uncommon thing to do...still sad. BUT, at least you have one of the hammers. I have 3 of my best friends that are Scoutmasters and have made items for them in the past. One of then even took a beginner class I teach last year! Thank you for mentoring these young men/leaders of our futere. Once again, welcome to IFI. Kick your shoes off, look around and ask questions or add comments as needed.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I think I found a new home here. I find the atmosphere here to be very helpful. I am really impressed with how this bunch of smiths is willing to help fellow smiths and wanna be's regardless of their experience or style. I applaude the folks here for just being plain good folk.

As for the scouts, I've been a scout or scouter for 30 years now and I look back and remember the time and effort that was given by many others to allow me to experience the adventure called scouting. I personally could never repay someone like my old scout master, so I do the next best thing and that is to give of myself to boy's today just as he did for me when I was a lad.

James

James,
I sure welcome you to I Forge Iron just as some of the members did for me several months ago.
Their welcome was not unfounded in that they have helped me solve many problems not only associated with working with steel, but how to solve computer problems and other topics also.
They have taught me so much about blacksmithing that I thought I already knew about. Now I realize how much I most likely still need to learn. But I love the process!
Now that was an eye opener for me to realize how much I did not know!
I am a member just like your self and have been for quite some time. But I always feel new!
I monitor this site about every day of the week. I am never surprised, but I am always amazed at the quantity, quality, and different views or approaches of how to manipulate steel into producing useful or highly decorative end products.
You sound like you have already picked up on the spirit of I Forge Iron. I look foreword to learn from you and to see photos that you post in the gallery to show the renewed progress that you make during your comeback! (Hint, Hint, we love photos!).
There are a lot of us that are not working with full capacity due to physical limitations. But I have seen some of them, and they inspire me to keep Forging.
The very best to you!
Ted