I Forge Iron

Hello everyone! My name is Andre, I’m naturally from Brazil.

I am finishing my kynion style pneumatic hammer but I’m having a low bpm problem and I don’t know what is the main cause, since I have a 250L compressor running with 15bar.. this is the compressor.0DABD91E-7034-4213-AE17-1DED2777184A.thumb.jpeg.6c7ab46a858ee272340b9c255445570c.jpeg

My piston is kinda big, but I don’t think that it would be a problem to this compressor... it has 115mm on its base, and the arm diameter is 45mm ( don’t know if this is the right word)

5043D3EC-5D39-4532-A982-FE2AFB63FD45.thumb.jpeg.03f9a24aab3965571d6c5125bad708a6.jpeg

Ive based myself on crickets air circuit plans, but with only one roller valve ( maybe this is the problem) AAC2F132-A53B-4682-AF9E-30D025D230BE.thumb.png.1a5c4c30f1644d4f94f1348d2075fc7e.png

4BD88319-0789-439C-892C-DB4D9E098DB1.thumb.jpeg.0c2a7de170caecffa748df2e4e071a66.jpeg

(This is not the pilot valve I’m using, it’s just to use as example) 

All of the main connections and the pilot valve are 1/2”, only the roller valve and it’s connections are 1/4”.

Here is the video of the hammer running...  I’m hopping that someone will be able to help me! Thank you!!

Well I'm no expert and while I can hear your .mov files, the visual is not coming through for me.  On my Kinyon bpm is adjusted by the placement of the roller valves.  Did you try lowering the top roller?  Is the hammer hitting hard? Hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge will chime in.

Not up on Kinyon hammers either,  but to help diagnose for those in the know I suggest you give info on your compressor that is not just the storage size and maximum pressure, but the pressure rating at a certain airflow (i.e. 95 PSI at 11 SCFM).  That being said, your tank size seems adequate and the maximum pressure is in line, however, big hard hitting air hammers are real air pigs.  The Big Blue 110 hammer in our groups shop needed a compressor that cost almost as much as the hammer...

Well, thats odd, here the video seems to be ok.. I’ll try with another vid. 

36 minutes ago, Latticino said:

Not up on Kinyon hammers either,  but to help diagnose for those in the know I suggest you give info on your compressor that is not just the storage size and maximum pressure, but the pressure rating at a certain airflow (i.e. 95 PSI at 11 SCFM).  That being said, your tank size seems adequate and the maximum pressure is in line, however, big hard hitting air hammers are real air pigs.  The Big Blue 110 hammer in our groups shop needed a compressor that cost almost as much as the hammer...

I’ll check that 

Hi Andre, my Kinon style hammer with a 50mm piston and an average stroke of 160mm use 8 bar/ltr of air for every in/out stroke. That forces me to have an air bank of 5000 bar/ltr (500 ltr tanks on 10bar) and 3 cylinder 5HP compressors. With a working pressure at 6.5bar and at least 90 stroke per minute I can forge 3 minutes before the compressors have to interfere (at 6.5bar) again. Fortunately, after 3 minutes’ work at the hammer I have to heat up the work piece again.

Also, very important to use a proportional air outlet to ‘play’ with the escaping air an be on control of strength and beat rhythm.

DSC00414.JPG

DSC00420.JPG

DSC00418.JPG