I Forge Iron

My little forge

Josh Doyle

Sorry, it was a quick "hey let me test the camera on my new phone" type moment.  The hand crank is an Otto Canady Tiger and works great but for when I want a steady blast ie. burning coke (which i have still used the tiger for) i have a small mattress inflator that hangs on the bottom of the big blower. The tube off of the Tiger is the old intake tube for my car (before i supercharged it) and has bungs welded on for various vacuum hoses. So i got the idea to pipe the electric fan into this so i can use either instantly. The mic on this phone kinda makes it appear to be louder than it really is and the fact that is is next to a wall.

• 1 month later...

Looks good; definitely gets hot. Your firepot seems to be on the large side. That amount of fuel doesn't quit reach level with the "table", meaning you'd have to angle stock down into the oxidizing zone of the fire to heat it.

Two options to remedy this:

1) Use more fuel to pile up above the table (hearth? please correct me if there is a proper term), making a much larger fire, or

2) Resize your firepot to be smaller, allowing you to make a taller fire with less fuel, at the expense of having a smaller diameter fire.

Without knowing what stock you're using, I can't give a perfect answer. I'm also assuming that your air supply is strong enough for option 1.

Personally, I would prefer option 2 with one addition-- using some firebricks on the side of the fire allows you to pile more fuel vertically without burning more on the edge of the fire. Firebricks

are great because they can be placed and rearranged into different configurations, and even removed, very easily, but any refractory material can work.