I Forge Iron

Anvil ID t1 marking

Hi I’m a new member, a friend has had this anvil since they bought their house and has used it as a garden decoration for decades. I recently learned about this and I asked if they wanted to sell it. They said yes but can I tell them a fair price to pay and what anvil it is. Theres only one marking on it which to me appears as T1. It has two pritchel holes and no step down from the face to the horn. It has quite good rebound from 1/2 inch ball bearing test. Not sure how heavy it is but I recon more than 250lbs.

Thanks for your help

4FB3C76E-908F-4D39-8407-DF92FD18645E.jpeg

7E8C469F-4256-4212-BED3-CBDCB9459A83.jpeg

2863FBEC-CEED-4444-AC67-8577A87DC978.jpeg

C970800A-7124-4625-A547-518C84D82EA0.jpeg

FE9FF422-F5C2-4CAB-AF85-590DDBEB2FBA.jpeg

D9FC89B8-BC02-40CB-8E8A-83033705E462.jpeg

There is no cutting step between face and horn; but there is a step down between the face and the horn. 

Can't give a good guess on price without knowing the weight.

What is the rebound from the ball bearing test?  (We've had at least one person tell us their anvil had great rebound when it had TERRIBLE rebound when they finally gave us a number!)

It seems to be in great shape.  TP is right though, clean the face.  I hit one anvil's face with a hammer to test it and it just went thud.  After a wire brush took off all the rust, it bounced pretty lively.   I've noticed mine getting more lively the longer I use it and the more polished it gets from forging.  Maybe it's just in my head.  In America blacksmiths consider any anvil with good rebound and in the decent shape yours is to be priced fairly at $3 a pound and under.  So far I've paid $1.67 a pound for one anvil and $0.31 cents a pound for the other one that was in questionable shape.  I consider both of my anvil purchases as great deals.  Hope that helps.

Given that the sellers are friends, if you want to keep them as friends you probably should pay them enough that they feel they made out well.  I usually do this by asking them what they think it's worth to them and then pay them a little more if they are low.  They may say $100, but if you think it's 250 lbs, you can counter by saying "Man, I think you are light on the price, how's $250 sound?"  You get a great anvil for $1 a pound (super deal) and they think you are the best friend on earth for given them over twice what they expected.  Everyone wins!  That's my 2 cents.

It's a standard pattern from back then and with over 200 anvil manufacturers in England making anvils that were often very similar it will be very hard to put a solid name to it without a visible stamping.  You might try going over the side with a hand sanding block to see if anything more shows up. That of course will destroy the current patina on it.

TP is right, but that particular pattern usually dates in the range of the Mouse Hole's produced in the similar type pattern.  No cutting shelf MIGHT mean it's on the older side of that type pattern.  If you take a wire cup wheel and attach it to an angle grinder and clean off the rust it will help you find identifying marks.  I had a Fisher anvil that revealed the weight only after cleaning off the rust.  My Trenton showed the weight too only after I took the rust off.  Removing the rust with the wire cup wheel will preserve the dark patina.  Here's the difference cleaning makes:

Before:

DSCN3845.thumb.JPG.6950af6eede9f46e35ee4c4d486dc82b.JPG

After:

DSCN5287.thumb.JPG.f562842818105b04935eb9569b71628b.JPG.ec7d0f9f47652c79b084dda53db5e5e7.JPG

Here's the Fisher after cleaning:

Fisher-1.thumb.jpg.9172e493489fa3f894d65b464abbabae.jpg

On 6/29/2018 at 4:20 PM, Exo313 said:

...Every time I see this thread, I misread it as "ID10T marking" and think that a previous owner had a wicked sense of humor...

I reread the thread twice looking for the ID10T, then it came to . . . ME! Wicked sense of humor indeed, good one Exo.

Frosty The Lucky.