I Forge Iron

forging temps of wrought iron

Welcome to the dark side. So now your ready to play with wrought. Make sure the horse shoe above the door tilts a little. It' good to have a little luck run into the shop. There is a little magic in this stuff so be carefull. I don't know what you are doing with the bar or how old it is, but I've had great success working with OLD wrought and it's fun to work with. If it does split as Mr.Wooldrige? said it is easy to weld back together. I have taken very decayed wrought back to usable in a short time. First heat to bright yellow and brush, brush, brush. This may take several heats. Thats OK. The scaly stuff like to come off hot. Then hammer at weld heat and draw out half it's length. Then fold back in half, flux again, and weld again. With a little practice you can be two heats in, in the perfect world, and your bar is the same size as before, but now nice and fresh for the task. You should know in a few heats if your iron is going to be a problem. If your iron appears to be sound to start then take right to forging. You'll do fine. It's fun. Well, off to the shop with ye. Don't forget about that horse shoe. Brad :wink:

jusat nailed 2 horseshoes up over the shop! I've got a massive 5 foot long by 1/4 inch thick by 2 inches bide band of the stuff which I found in the corner of my basement. I spark tested it and it's wrought, apparently. I also have a 2 foot long half inch thick nail type object which is wrought. it's very corroded, so I am going to draw it out as flat as possible before welding, so that there is less of a risk of cold shuts. :D I'll have to do it the week after next though, homework. :(

That,s the great thing about wrought. The heavy corosion can be brushed and smacked away. When clean it looks all decayed and rotted but work at weld heat and put it back together to a usable billet. Remember wrought works realy well with the grain. If you try to do a lot of sideways spreading you may encounter splitting Have fun. Brad