I Forge Iron

Hello from eastern Mass

New member here. No blacksmithing experience, but I did take a course at Prospect Hill Forge school in greater Boston a while back. I have since constructed a brake drum forge and a rr track anvil. Had a torch guy cut off a piece of track and burn a hole through the middle of the track web. Mounted it with chain, screw eyes, and turnbuckles to a piece of 6x6 PT timber beam.

Not having access to much metalworking tools, I cut off the 1 1/4 inch receiver from an old auto trailer hitch and had it welded vertically to the rr track. I figured that those receiver bars are plentiful,  so no need for time consuming effort to make hardy hole tool shanks. I got an old Ford wrench and had an additional handle welded on to make a turning wrench. Also made a turning fork on a receiver bar.

Presently working on a clamping fixture for an extra hand when hammering, using a large pair of slip joint pliers with extended handles as tongs, and attaching a small machinist vise to my hardy hole attachment. 

Soon will be ready to "fire up" I hope.

20171028_134712.jpg

20171028_134637.jpg

Welcome to IFI! I see that the READ THIS FIRST post has already been shared with you, so I'll direct you instead to this list of suggestions for what to do with RR track:

By the way, the local slang for a receiver is "gazinta", as in "That's what the hitch gazinta." Either way works.