I Forge Iron

cost estimate for railing

Go to the top of the forum page and click on user cp.
click on edit profile
go to the bottom of the page, enter your location and save.

We would like to know where in the world you are located.

Where are you at??? I asked this question of a local welding/machine shop a couple years ago and they told me for "basic" straight 1/2" pickets with a 1 1/2" channel top rail, no embellishments, $20 per foot. I want to move where you live :)

Where are you? that has a LOT to do with it. What type of railing? fabricated with welded cast iron from King? all forged with traditional joinery? How will it be mounted?

da devil is in da details.

Are you installing it? Did you check for a level floor? Inside or outside? If inside, did the contractor put lots of blocking in the framing for you to bolt to? Do you have to weld the corner together onsite, on top of new white carpet? If outside, be careful of stucco walls with styrofoam sub-sheathing. If you want to core drill and grout the legs, the drill guys hate uneven surfaces like rock and slate, they cant get a good suction on the drill. All these little dingers could add days to the install, and burn up all your beer margin.

This is the make or break question of business. I gave a price to a lady, that was actualy low, because I wanted the job for my portfolio (beatiful antigue house w/granite steps. Her response was that the last price she had gotten was $20/ ft and $12 per post. I could not even core one hole in the granite for the other guys price. I charge at least $100/ft plus materials for a cut and weld rail. Forge work, machine work, etc. add to the price. Expensive materials such as bronze or stainless also raise the per foot part of the price, because they require more time or care or both. Elaborate hand forged s.s. or bronze railings go from hundreds into the thousands/ft. Even at high prices you can lose money. One job I did years ago, 5'@$500', would have had to be $1200/ft if billed by the hour. Looks great in the portfolio though. One technique that helps is, I give a price for the rail, and charge hourly for installation. This gives me a little leeway if I mess up the price.

I'm getting ready to estimate costs for my first railing/balcony job. What are the going rates nowadays for railings? Last time I heard they started at around $100 per foot for a basic railing.

With all due respect....that question.....has to many variables. Be about the same as walking on to a car lot and asking......so........what'd the goin rate of an automobile?...... They have "something for every budget" LOL :D

One man's "basic" is another man's "decorative". and visa versa....:o

Maybe we could be more helpful if we knew what your design was. And material.

To get a good representative price on the job, make a 3-4 foot section of the railing as a sample for the client to approve (in writing). This way the client knows what they are getting and you can more accurately price the job.

Don't be upset if the job does not materialize due to the cost. At least you have a sample of your work to show others, and understand the REAL cost involved.