I Forge Iron

Post drill for sale could do with some advice

Hi All,

So I have seen this drill up for sale and from the specs I have seen on the attached it looks pretty good.

I just wanted to get a couple of opinions on whether this would be a good metal drill.

I wouldn't be working anything to heavy maybe 10mm thick at the most and certainly nothing over 12mm diameter.

I did notice some damage to the base in the picture but I should be able to put a steel wedge under to balance it.

Mod note: the commercial link has been removed per the IFI Terms of Service. If you wish for members to comment on the suitability of this drill, please post the manufacturer, specs, etc in a comment below.

Edited by Mod34
Commercial link removed per TOS

Sorry the link I posted was to the pdf manufacturers manual for the model of drill that was in the picture. Thats why i did a screen shot from the sales site to get an opinion on the condition and then posted a link to the specs seperately.

Hi All,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on the spec of the pillar drill, I have attached a pdf to the owners manual and a scrrenshot of the Pillar drill that is for sale.

Off site link removed again, next time you pay for it advertising is not free

image.png.0a7cfac282ea5b8a3f8ad98affc68017.png

I was hoping to get an opinion on how suitable this would be for my purposes, as I have seen others for sale but when going through with people I have been told they would be really suitable for the purpose I wanted.

But I am unsure what that was based on so don't really know what I am looking for in the manual to get a true idea of how much use this would be for me.

Thanks,

Luke

Luke this is essentually the same as the bench drills that certain highstreet supermarets sell, (the bench drill in the photo will have exactly the same drill head) it's not a serious industrial tool, it's a hobby machine and as such will have limited features. This isn't really a problem for a home setup as your not looking for high output and accuracy. If used correctly it should manage most of what you want to do as a hobbyist at a reasonable  second hand price.

The biggest drawback with these machines is the slowest speed is too high, but it's not too difficult to convert them to a slower spindle speed, plenty of info on the web on the subject. You're other option is to hope an industrial grade machine comes onto the market but that may well be dearer or so worn out it performs no better than a hobby model.

If this is in good condition at the right price (and I'd suggest not much more than half the price of a new one), then it'll be sufice for your needs.

Hi Smoggy,

Thanks for this, this one is up for £49 which seemed like reasonable price but then if it is no better than those supermarket ones I might be just as well buying one of them or waiting and saving up.

What would be the best low end speed to look for as I thought the 210 speed would be slow enough, to be fair I am hoping to buy one that I can grow into and that can cover a wide range of jobs without burning out.

I would look for no more than 100rpm, preferably as low as 50rpm, you'd then be able to drill just about anything.

The bench versions are around £60 mark, so the more versitile pilar drills will be a tad more expensive, so at that price if it's not had a lot of use and many of these don't get worked to death, it could be a good buy, but I'd like to give it the once over before purchasing. If you're in no hurry, just keep looking.....eventually real good ones come up sooner or latter.