I Forge Iron

Anyone Near...

...Grafton, Ohio? I am finding myself limited in that I've got no one to learn from. I can piece together some things on my own, watch YouTube videos and read books, but I think we all know that those things only take you so far. In my case, they don't take me far at all. I am a person who learns by observation and visualization, more than imagination and intuition. It's a problem that I'm sure will resolve itself, once I learn the basics (hard to imagine something you have no concept of).

Anyway, before I get off on too much of a rant, I was wondering if anyone lived nearby that wouldn't mind just allowing me to hammer with them, showing me some of the basics. I've got my own (meager) setup, though my forge is not so portable (my anvil and tools are!), and I would be more than willing to pay for your time, and even for your stock if we were to actually create anything we set out to. :)

Let me know! Either respond here, or feel free to zip me a PM.

Can you drive down to near Columbus Ohio to Mac's Hammer-in the 7th of June?

I can guarentee you that they will overload you with help, information and friendliness---or I'll steal Mac's anvil when I drive up for Quad-State in September! This is a small starter event and I know most all the folks mentioned personally, they are a good group---but don't let on that I said so!

Saturday June 7th 2008 Macabee Knives Presents a Hammer-In

The forging festivities will be held in my meager and primitive shop at 6086 Parkglen Rd. Galloway OH 43119

I have found some great people willing to help out

* Terry Griner: Primitive Casting Blade Fittings.
* Jim Green: Forging a Seax in a Viking Era Forge.
* Adlai Stein: Forging Bevels
* Dan Chapman: Making Swords for Western Martial Arts
* Mike Alexander: Damascus Patterning & Mosaic pins
* Larry Sharp: Beginning Bladesmithing 101

Set up will be from 8:00 to 9:00. The forging and demos will go from 9:00 to 5:00

I'm also planning on having an open forge area, an iron in the hat and a potluck BBQ dinner.

I'm asking for a bit of a donation and the proceeds from the iron in the hat to help the demonstrators pay for supplies.

So bring yourselves something to donate to the iron in the hat and a dish or drink for the potluck.

If you have any tools and materials for sale you are more then welcome to bring them.

For more information send me an email macabee@wowway.com or give me a call at (614) 370-6228.

Vladimir

An additional option is Northwest Ohio Blacksmiths (NOB). Our next meeting is an open forge at my place in Holland, OH (suburb of Toledo, about 80 miles) on June 7. Our web site is:

Northwest Ohio Blacksmiths

The meeting after that will be a joint meeting with WRABA in Wakeman, OH. It's on the web site. We just had an excellent hammer-in last weekend - wish you had asked a week ago.

Roger King
(Walking Dog)

Those both sound like awesome events, and I may just show up to one of them. ...but that wasn't the intent of my original request. I have no problem with WRABA's hammer-ins, I think they're awesome and I do gather a lot of information there (albeit some that I don't understand). I was more wondering if anyone had time for some one-on-one work, call it 'remedial blacksmithing', if you will.

I didn't intend for it to sound like WRABA wasn't meeting my needs as a club, it's just tracking people down outside of 'club-time' that is my issue.

• 1 month later...