I Forge Iron

my new ( to me) hammer

Just got a hammer for my shop at the museum ! Its a macgowan and finnigan perfect power hammer. It was built between 1903 and 1906 so it fits what i am trying to do (trying to keep this shop as around 1910) Got to set up a line shaft for it .. and its gona take some cleaning and maintenance but... it was running so YA I got a hammer again!
newshop_001.jpg

I did a big repair on the clutch/pressure plate recently. I took some pictures and did a BP on it, It should appear in the BP section someday.. Anyway, mine has four or five 1/2inch diameter compression springs that hold the pressure plate away from the drive wheel. If you tear the head down, let me know, I'll be happy to mail you the new springs for it. I had to buy 20 of them to make the minimum order at the spring company.

btw anyone know if there is a direction of rotation on this hammer ??? clockwise or counterclockwise? ime getting closer to getting it up and running ..and have the shafting for the flatbelt drive but wondered about direction ... probably does not matter but.....

• 2 weeks later...
btw anyone know if there is a direction of rotation on this hammer ??? clockwise or counterclockwise? ime getting closer to getting it up and running ..and have the shafting for the flatbelt drive but wondered about direction ... probably does not matter but.....

Direction of these hammers doesn't really matter. Actually, they would reverse direction every 6-12months so it would wear evenly. (so I have been told...) Look good. I know you are getting excited to HIT something with it!

• 5 months later...

well i finally got everything setup to run the hammer ....... IT WAS GREAT!! ive got it setup to run 350+bpm and it runs like a swiss watch! forged out a fireplace poker with it and sold it within a 1/2 hr !!!I am really happy with the hammer it hits reasonably good and is real fast it was fun to play with!! it has drawing dies on it and it will draw 3/4 sq down to 5/16 in a taper in one heat.... well ime officially back for the winter and really happy with my hammer!!

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome aboard James, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many Iforge folk live within visiting distance.

Try searching for the patent servers. Use the patent # for the search terms if the spec plate is there. If not search the maker and model. Full names work better than abbreviations. 

---------------------

Dablacksmith: Use the "Choose Files" button below the text window to post pictures. Attachments don't work all too often, right now your link is to a "Not found on this server"  error message.

Frosty The Lucky.