I Forge Iron

Hi I just signed up

Just my suggestions but, use a chainsaw or whatever to hollow out the bottom of the stump except for a 3 inch ring around the outside. That way it will almost always set level because of no high spot in the middle to rock on. Also when you fasten the anvil down, move it close to one side so you can stand close to it for some work, it makes it lots easier on your back and you can lay tools on the off side of the anvil on the wide part of the stump.

It might just be me, or my computer, but I couldn't get your slideshow to work........nice looking anvil though.

I don't know why it ain't working for you, I clicked " Left" on it and it opened right up. Maybe your popup blocker is preventing it from working.?

Just my suggestions but, use a chainsaw or whatever to hollow out the bottom of the stump except for a 3 inch ring around the outside. That way it will almost always set level because of no high spot in the middle to rock on.

Thanks for the advice, I'll put it to use when I get in, I'm up here in Michigan and hope to be on my way home to night...

• 7 months later...

I joined this site April, the 22nd of Last year. I was interested in Making knifes, And stumbled on to this place. I got a call From Glenn and he started teaching me about metal. And I was amazed at the stuff that he told me. And changed gears. Now I have a burning desire to learn all I can about Blacksmithing. Sooner or later I'll get back to where I started and try and make a knife or two. As some of you know I'm a Over The Road Truck driver and Don't have alot of Free time..Trucking is very demanding. and there isn't much off time.
You all are a great bunch of people, I am stuck in Houston,TX and I made a post that I would like to meet some feller member's of The I forge Iron Nation, living here in Houston, Well I didn't get any responses from anyone here, But I did get a Phone Call from Steve Sells outta Ft Wayne,In .
We sit and talked for awhile, And I'll tell you Boy's that call meant alot to me.
I want to Thank Glenn and all the ones that have helped me in the time I've been here, I still got along way's to go to where I want to get with the Blacksmithing,But it'll come with time and persistence....Tom

Gee, I bet you're wishing you were back home finishing up the new shop!
I know I would be........
If you ever get stranded between loads up in my neck of the woods,(say, around Grayson,Ky) be sure and give me a shout.

We'll get together and hammer a chunk of iron or something.....
show you how hillbillys live.........:)