I Forge Iron

Size of stock to make tongs...

I was just wondering what size stock is the min. amount to make your own tongs out of? I have some scrap 3/8" from old horse and buggy springs and was wondering if this would work. Also does anyone know any links to step by step making tongs? Thanks

i used 5/8 round mild steel, to make my tongs and they have held up to quite alot of abuse, as i generally reforge to fit the size stock im working. 3/8 might work if you harden and temper it, and also drill small a pilot hole and open it up to keep alot of steel around the hinge pin.

I've made several pairs of tongs from 1/2 inch round mild steel.
I don't use it because of any preference(flat and square stock work too), but rather because I have plenty of it.

1/2 in. round makes a good medium size tongs.If you need more metal for the jaws or pivots, you can upset one end of the stock before you start making the tongs,....but you don't have to.

the 1/2 in round feels a little heavy to me for handles, so I usually draw them down to about 3/8 in.

Some smiths make their tongs from heavier stock (that is, the jaws and pivot part.........and forge weld or arc weld smaller handles (or reins) on the tongs.
I've done this both ways........either way works.

If I made a pair of tongs out of spring steel, I might forget they were high carbon and reshape them for a specific job, then quickly quench them and start working without realizing I had hardened the tongs and made them brittle and subject to breaking at an inconvenient time.

Use mild steel and save that fine spring steel for the job that requires it.