I Forge Iron

Fire Insurance

My wife asked me about the coverage for my shop now that I have a coal forge operating in it. We've been through the wringer before with our wood stove and I've been a little reluctant to mention too much to the insurer as there is a chance that the adjuster wouldn't understand the finer points of forge installation. Wood stoves actually have a certified installer program (WETT) here in Canada and the regulations are very stringent. My forge is a different beast altogether. I'm a firm believer in "I'd rather beg forgiveness that ask permission".

I guess my question is "If you are running a small hobby-shop, do you carry special insurance" Has anyone had any good (or bad) experiences with insurers?

I'd sure appreciate any advice if you guys have any.

Nope, no special insurance here. Our homeowner's policy doesn't disqualify it (even with a broad reading). So, after hearing horror stories of people who HAVE mentioned it their insurance co (mostly because the agent has NO clue about the real risks), we decided not to even bring it up.

Hey Gobae,

Not sure how the insurance regs read in NY but don't count on the fact that your policy NOT mentioning your blacksmithing or other similar activities means that they'll cover any mishap related to it.

A friend of mine just went through it when his propane forge caught his small shed shop on fire and his insurance (Farmer's) not only refused to cover it but dropped him like a sack o' spuds. Something about due diligence to inform on his part.

He's playing xxxx trying to get new coverage because of the conditions of claim he filed.

Them insurance companies is funny critters - for being in the risk business, they sure don't like to take any . . .

I went with a local insurance company (Indiana Farmers) recommended by another blacksmith. They came out and inspected my blacksmith shop and were happy. It's $880 a year and gets me a $1 million policy when I'm at a show. Some events want me to carry liability insurance. I tried the one hooked up with ABANA but they don't operate in Indiana.

My forge is a different beast altogether. I'm a firm believer in "I'd rather beg forgiveness that ask permission".

I rent and my landlord who also is a Realtor, knows all about my smithing. I run a gasser and all he asked is that I maintain renters insurance. We are also going with the "beg forgiveness rather than ask permission" philosophy ;)