I Forge Iron

refractory cement on a coal forge?

NO! Using refractory cement in a coal forge is the "a little is good a lot is better" thinking run to the silly level. Is "Clay before Using" cast in the pan anywhere? If not it needs nothing but coal and a fire, save the ash if you like by not cleaning it out completely. My cast iron Buffalo rivet forge has "Clay before using cast proud in the pan. Ramming about 1" - 2" of a damp mix of approx 2pts. sand and 1pt clay with a mallet till hard works a treat. It's only real use is to distribute heat evenly, some cast iron types aren't known for liking a high temp differential and can crack. My forge is cracked centered at the air grate, probably because it wasn't clayed and maybe got subjected to water dipper action when hot.

Frosty The Lucky.

Rivet forge pans are duck's nest forges. An inch or so of tamped dirt with a depression down to the air grate is all the "fire pot" they're intended for. I surround it with fire brick if I need a deep or certain size or shape fire. I'm not locked into ONE fire pot, I've even built ovens over the fire for heat treat, etc.

Frosty The Lucky.

Close enough though I don't mix it nearly that wet. If you can squeeze it into a lump in your fist, it breaks clean without staining your palm with mud, it's good to ram in. 

A risk you run claying a forge is trapping water between the clay and pan accelerating rusting.

Frosty The Lucky.