I Forge Iron

Novice from Calhan Colorado

5abc4d695b3cd_forge2.thumb.jpg.2ced24b9da9351e0a8c4c05c9d82a9bd.jpg

As I approach retirement, I want to start yet another hobby. :)  A couple of years ago, I made a heavy work bench and started buying power tools, hand tools, attachments etc.  I also started doing a lot of research about blacksmithing on google and youtude (tremendous resources), and I bought a few books.  I bought some worn out farrier's rasp and some other pieces of steel, plus wood for knife handle scales and tomahawk handles from Ebay.  I made my forge (in the picture) from an old truck wheel my neighbor gave me when he cleaned out his barn, lined it with refractory cement and I used 2 inch black pipe (both purchased from Amazon) for the forced air provided by an old hair dryer.  I purchased a used anvil.  The forge is fired here for the first time using charcoal.  I was attempting to anneal one of those farrier's rasp.  It seems easier to work. :) There's a local farriers supply store in the area where I can purchase coal and coke.  Anyway, hello!

Coal will work much better in your set up, but you probably still will have to much air.  Simply move the hair dryer back untile you have the right blast. If you want to burn charcoal I will be happy to show you how to get the most out of it. 

You will soon find out that IFI is an interactive peer reviewed document. We have real experts here.

I would still recomend a bit of tweeking even for coal. Shrink your bowl to about 8” across, and maintain a 1” or so lip to keep the coal in the forge. You can bank the fire directly against coal. Not so much for charcoal, you will need to provide bricks or a metal ring to bank charcoal. You won’t the fire ball centerd at rim hight so you can pass long stock thre the fire.