I Forge Iron

Champion flywheel blower

magikk

Hi everyone.I went to the local flea market yesterday (glad spring is getting here.It's been along winter) and I found a Champion blower  with the flywheel .It is in really nice condition.I got the blower spinning once I cleaned out the black walnut shells ( squirrels stash them everywhere) I'll have to get new leather for belts and make a wooden handle.Does anyone know how long the handle should be? I'm assuming its counter balanced by the weight.So would it would matter how heavy it is.I also can't seem to find much info as far as production dates .So any info would be appreciated.Thanks Mike

champion flywheel blower.JPG

Balance might not be the word we are looking for, think counter balance. If you balance the handle against the counter weight then you pull down and lift up the handle, otherwise you pull down and the counter weight lifts the handle back up. This set up was intended to duplicate the action of a bellows, where the weight of the bottom leaf was lifted buy the handle and the weight of the leaf was what provided the force to fill the bottom chamber of the bellows and lift the handle back in place. You certainly don’t want to strain to pull the handle down but I would recommend the handle be slightly lighter than the counterweight.

Hi again, I have a question and hopeful someone can help. I just got around to putting new leather belts on the blower and it not working as I should. If I understand how it’s supposed to work as one of the leather straps on the flywheel unwind the other strap would wind and in the process move the lever up and down. Right now it spins one way and seems to click and freewheel in the other.  Should there be a drive pin in the  flywheel so it moves the same in both directions. I’ll attach a short video showing what it’s doing. Thanks for any help. Mike  if the video isn’t allowed I apologize  

Edited by magikk
Changed wording

Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions.I've just never seen one of these in action.I couldn't even find a YouTube video. So would it be normal to load the handle by turning the flywheel by hand until the leather winds tight then pull the handle each time I need air. Thanks Mike

Hi again, I got the blower figured out. I had the straps that run the flywheel wound wrong. So it working fine now. May have to tighten up the drive belt and maybe a new handle about a foot longer. I’ll be forging this weeend with it though. Thanks for the help guys. It is very much appreciated. No one I know has any knowledge about this stuff and I’m learning as I go. Here’s an updated video. Thanks Mike 

Greetings Magikk,

Im happy I was able to help you . As I said the drive straps wrap opposite directions.. Mine has the ratchet pawl on the outside hub. Have fun with your new toy.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim